IOWA CITY, Iowa – It has likely sunk in by now for the six winning Greco wrestlers from this past weekend’s Olympic Trials. The crowd noise, interviews, flash bulbs, and constant streams of ‘congratulations’ have now simmered down just a bit. After all, a few of them have to get back to work. But that doesn’t mean what went down at Carver-Hawkeye Arena is something we’ll soon forget. It is there where we saw:
- Two heavy favorites take the next step everyone was waiting for (Bisek and Smith).
- A warrior who had already walked the walk finds the bright lights once again (Provisor).
- A talented would-be star turn the tables when it mattered most (Perkins).
- The rise of a dragon-slayer who took out the two biggest names in his weight class in dominant fashion (Thielke).
- Perhaps the latest great example of perseverance and attitude to grace the sport (Rau).
So let’s take a look at the influx of well-wishes these athletes received on social media. Also, be sure to follow each of them on their quests to become Olympic champions!
Jesse Thielke, 59 kg (@)
— U.S. Olympic Team (@TeamUSA) April 10, 2016
— sammy cokeley (@cokeley_sammy) April 10, 2016
— Jesse David Thielke (@thielke_smooth) April 11, 2016
Andy Bisek, 75 kg (@)
To my best friend: CONGRATS!
No one on the planet deserves it more than you.
— Chad Gable (@WWEGable) April 11, 2016
Ben Provisor, 85 kg (@)
— NBC Olympics (@NBCOlympics) April 10, 2016
— Marisa Silvas (@MarisaSilvasTV) April 10, 2016
— David Scrivner (@davidscrivner) April 11, 2016
Joe Rau, 98 kg (@)
— MN Training Center (@MTCStorm) April 10, 2016
— MNUSAWrestling (@MNUSAW) April 11, 2016
Friends, fam, every1 who
Supported me: thanks so much! I love you all! Sudden influx of msgs.. I will work on getting back to all of u!
— Josef Rau (@Raustler84) April 10, 2016
Robby Smith, 130 kg (@)
— robert smith (@rtdsmith) April 11, 2016
Don’t worry. The winning Greco wrestlers from Saturday night will probably have to up their collective Twitter game a little bit for whatever PR reasons heading closer to Rio. So please follow and support these men as the Olympics draw closer. The best chance the athletes have is to know all of their friends, families, fans, and followers back home are in it together with them.